Let property inspectors help you achieve your goal of owning your dream house
We all have a dream home. In your mind, you know how your dream home will look. You know how the house will look from outside. You know how the door will look, how big the windows will be, and how high the ceilings will be.
Dream homes and property inspections
Imagine finally finding the perfect home that you have been dreaming of. It is the perfect size for your family. It has a small backyard garden. It has the right number of bedrooms. It is situated in your dream location. Everything is perfect.
However, fast forward to one month later. You encounter problems. The heating is not working properly. There are moulds in some rooms. The kitchen cabinets’ doors are becoming unhinged. When it rains, you have to prepare the bucket in the living room to catch the drippings. Some windows are not closing and opening properly. Worst of all, parts of the house are infested with pests. Your dream home became a nightmare after only a month!
Without a prior pre-purchase inspection, your dream home can quickly turn into a house from a hellish nightmare. Before you get excited and shell out that cash, perform your due diligence. Buying a home is not cheap. You have saved months, even years, to pay for a deposit payment. It is only right that you ensure that you are getting your money’s worth.
Buying a new house will be one of the biggest financial decisions that you will make in your life. Sadly, however, only 20% of Australian home buyers hire a professional to perform pre-purchase property inspection. If you are lucky, then you will get a home that is worth more than what you have paid for. If you are unlucky, however, you will pay so much more in terms of money, time and energy.
You may save money if you skip a property inspection; however, it can be a costly omission for you.
What can a property inspector do for you?
Paying for a professional property inspector will be an investment you will never regret. You may try doing it on your own. However, you need to realise that professional building inspectors have been inspecting properties for years. They know what to look for and where to look for it.
Here are the things that a property inspector can help you with.
- They will make sure that your new home is free from major defects that will put your safety at risk. Certain defects, such as structural issues, can put your and family’s lives at risk. An inspector will make sure that your home is ready and safe for occupancy.
- They will check for cosmetic and minor defects that may affect the comfort and aesthetic of your new home.
- Check for pest infestations, whether active or inactive, that can cause damage to your home’s integrity and make it uncomfortable and unhealthy for you.
- A building inspector can collect evidence on the damage and pest infestations present.
- They will be able to identify safety hazards, which can include structural, electrical, or presence of toxic substances such as asbestos and lead.
- They will be able to provide you with the list of necessary repairs and fixes needing to be done and the maintenance needed to prevent the problems from recurring.
- They can provide you with an estimate on how much these repairs and fixes will cost.
What are the activities involved during a property inspection?
A professional property inspector will check the whole house. Basically, he or she, along with the rest of their inspection team, will be checking the following:
- Home Interiors: A building inspector will check everything, from sagging ceilings, cracks on walls, electrical wirings, doors that will not close properly, to cabinets that are not working. They will check every nook and cranny inside the house.
- Home Exterior: The inspector will check the construction and foundation of the house for any problems and issues.
- Roof: The roof is one of the main defences of the house. Shingles, tiles, gutters, downpipes, and chimneys, as well as the attic, will be checked for issues. A problematic roof can lead to water seepage that can damage the interior of the house as well.
- Other Features: If necessary and as agreed, the property inspector will also be checking the carports, driveways, garages, garden sheds, decks, patios, fencing, paths, as well as surface water drainage.
You can also suggest to your inspector, other parts of the home that you want to be checked.
Should you get a pest inspection?
A pest inspection is important to make your new home safe and comfortable for you. Skipping on a pest inspection may save you a few dollars, but you may end up spending more when you find that your dream home has a bad infestation. Worse, these pests can end up damaging your belongings or cause illnesses that can make you spend even more.
A pest inspector will check the interior and exterior of the house for the presence of wood-eating pests such as termites. Under floors and roof cavities will also be checked thoroughly.
Before you sign any contract, make sure that the structure is free from pests. Hire a property and pest inspection specialist for your peace of mind. Repair for damage caused by pests can cost you thousands of dollars. It’s better to pay for a pest and building inspection fee early on than end up buying a house that will have you spending more than what you have bargained for.
The importance of a pre-settlement or pre-purchase inspection
Before you reach an agreement and sign documents, it would be prudent to have a final inspection. This inspection will ensure that:
- The house is vacant.
- The property is in good condition.
- The area is clean and liveable.
- The fixtures are in good working condition.
- The items agreed will be included in the sale and turnover.
- There is no rubbish left on the site.
By investing in professional property inspection, you minimise the risk of finding major issues later on after you have already settled and signed all the contracts. It also gives you an edge on your price negotiations with the owner.
Have you found your dream house? Contact Vital Building Inspections Sydney
Get only the best building and pest inspection services in Sydney. Our team at Vital will give you a detailed and thorough report on the actual and real situation of the property. We go beyond the visible and obvious problems. Trust us to help you achieve a structurally sound and ultimately liveable dream house. Contact us today!